Wednesday, June 4, 2008

AIR PLANTS RULE!


the bromeliad family was quick to become an integral partner in my personal space. with my first home away from home, came with the freedom to reinvent my self habitat in ways i had never done before. my first step was to buy about six bromeliad plants. there in my little half of a dorm room among these little guys and my funny keepsakes, i was able to create my first sacred space; a world outside my own reality, a world of myths and magic stories, a slice of the dark crystal, a world where my fascination with miniature microcosms could flourish. as i grew older, and my personal space never quite grew the ways other peoples' did, i narrowed my vision into the genus tillandsia. with the plant comes its home. i enjoy finding wood bits , shells, anything to house these little guys. in 1991, nasa experimented in the regeneration of the ozone layer and found that at the time, that the tillandsia regenerates and purifies the atmosphere. go air plants! thanks for purifying my zone. on the mega new age tip, i suppose this plant family has always stirred otherworldliness in my own soul.  
i love you guys. thanks for existing.

1 comment: